Monday, March 08, 2010

If I Was Unbalanced, Could I Do...This? (::insert awkward pose here::)

As a youth, I was never considered a jock or a nerd. Yes, I was athletic and yes, I did think of myself a quite smart (even if my grades didn't reflect it), but I didn't fit into either category. (Looking back, I admit I wasn't smart enough to think there might be more than two possibilities.) I had heard the phrase "jack of all trades" fairly early in life and attached myself to that - only to later hate that I was never passionate about any one thing. But that is going in a different direction than I want to go right now.

In my first year in college, I came across the term "philosopher-king" in my classical reading. This is a concept of someone who is strong physically like a traditional strongman-type "king" but who also trains his mind to be an equally strong "philosopher." The idea was that a perfect ruler would combine both worlds of jock and nerd. At the time, it was a mind-opening concept for me. Even now, I love the thought of living a balanced life of the physical, mental, and spiritual.

So, with that in mind, I've found a gym that has a pool. Now, in addition to my classic reading kick I've been on lately, I'll have the opportunity to workout as well. I'll be alternating swimming workouts with free weights.

3 Month Goals:
  • Squat 150 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)
  • Deadlift 225 lbs (1 set of 5 reps)
  • Bench Press 115 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)
  • Overhead Press 75 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)

6 Month Goals:

  • Squat 195 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)
  • Deadlift 270 lbs (1 set of 5 reps)
  • Bench Press 135 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)
  • Overhead Press 105 lbs (5 sets of 5 reps)
...and I'm starting tonight.

2 comments:

Chris said...

How are you doing now?

Steve said...

Let's see, this post was originally March 2010, I had spinal surgery (non-lifting related) in February 2011.

However, my last workout (5/19 I believe), I was at:
Squats - 150
Overhead - 110
Deadlift - 210
Bench - 115

Pretty good for a two month run. Now that I've been cleared to work out again, I get to start over...slowly.