Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dude..."Mr. Wilson" Is My Father

So there I was walking down the hallway at work, when some guy that almost looks familiar (he didn't LOOK familiar, but had a face like he ought to) smiles at me and says, "Hi, Mr. Wilson." Since we were walking opposite directions at a pretty good clip, I didn't have time to do a double take or even realize that NOBODY at work should recognize me as "Mr. Wilson." For the life of me, I can't imagine who would possibly refer to me as Mr. Wilson - or where I would even know someone who would refer to me as such.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

So anyhow, I'm now kickin' back listening to Enya, watching the christmas tree lights, sipping egg nog, and enjoying a quiet house (kids are in bed). I'm actually feeling pretty relaxed. I played for a little bit with my new miniatures (a boy and his toy soldiers...I know...), successfully debugged a program called OpenRPG that I've been trying to get working on my macintosh for some time now, got a reimbursement check for some scouting supplies I had bought, and had a relatively mellow time with the Webelos tonight.

Work is going well, except for usually being finished with my work for the day a few hours too early. It makes the last part of the day really drag - especially when my cubical faces a large windowed conference room where the managers have their daily meetings and where the company hosts prospective clients. And people wonder why I wear a tie...

However, I finally have a set of my own clients that I work regularly with. They include Lowe's Home Improvement, Hard Rock Cafe, Red Wing Shoes, Metromedia Restaurants (Steak & Ale, Bennigan's, etc.), Weatherford International (oil drilling company), and Interstate (Starplex) Theatres. Yup, I'm the guy who sets up/terminates all the utility accounts nationwide for these big boys. Exciting stuff, I know. I spend my day talking to big and little people at big and little utility companies (like the City of Lower Frog Jump, Tennessee) across the continent. I find it amazing how territorial some of these people can get when you don't do things EXACTLY the way they want - and that usually comes from the smaller places (City of..., County of..., etc.). No, I am NOT going to send you a copy of MY driver's license and MY social security number to set up electric/gas/water service for a new 120,000+ square foot Lowe's Home Center! A $35,000 deposit?!? Come on...you have GOT to be kidding me. I have a federal tax id number and a letter of authorization - that is all you're getting from me besides my name and phone number.

Sounds like there should be something in the Geneva Convention about that...

No comments: