Sunday, October 25, 2009

Arm-Waving Freakoutery

One of my official jobs is now to wave my arms about like a spaz in front of a bunch of people. Yes, that's right, I've been called to be the choir director at church. We perform in church once a month...and today was my first "performance".

It was actually a lot of fun - I really, really like music and I have very distinct memories of "conducting" the music to an old Hooked on Classics tape as a young kid. I remember thinking it would be neat to conduct a full orchestra, but let's face it, I have never been that interested in putting in the effort to be a professional musician.

In any case, our choir is small and widely varies in the number of members depending on the day, the weather, the song, etc... I don't expect any miracles anyway. This ain't the movie Sister Act and I certainly ain't Whoopie Goldberg (although I'm sure I'd make a terrible nun too).

Here's my philosophy when it comes to the church choir: When something wonderful happened in the heavens, the multitudes there either shouted for joy or sang. Now I don't really care if us mortals are more shouters or singers, but I figure if there is room enough in heaven for both, there certainly is room enough for both in the choir.

For today, we started our song acapella (no piano): Listen, Listen and then went right in to Search, Ponder, and Pray, both of which are songs written for little kids. Still, it was fun and they sounded great. I think next month we'll do Now Thank We All Our God since it is the Thanksgiving season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah,ha! It worked. "Hook on Classics" was well worth it's costs. Dad