Thursday, July 07, 2005

Working Woes

I have mentioned the library department I work in recently merged with the Circulation department. Overall it has been a good thing, for me at least. I'm getting to do a lot of different things. However, there is one trend that is beginning to bother me.

I spend a lot of my days training other people how to do the various jobs I have been trained to do. No problem there. However, it has become a problem that I am no longer scheduled to do any of those jobs. If I was paranoid, I'd think I'd be replaced soon, but I know that is not the case. Several of the staff members here (including my new boss) seem to think I provide the department with all sorts of mysterious and valuable services. Hey everyone, I'm just a student here!

Some people might love to have a job where you don't really have anything to do, but it drives me crazy. I've actually asked to have my hours cut, so I can go do something more productive with my time. Yeah, it's a cut in the paycheck, but I just can't sit around trying to look busy. So starting next week, I'm back down to part-time.

It's not that I don't mind the responsibility or that I'm lazy (okay, maybe a bit), it just bothers me to see other students around here just sitting around reading or talking with each other. Just give me a project, give me a deadline, and leave me alone so I can get it done - and it WILL get done...on time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#1. Cleaver(?) Black Adder.

#2. Tonto, Please don't go into town you'll get the snot beatten out of you!

#3. You buy from ACME huh? (Beep- Beep)

#4. Wrasscaly Wrabbit.